Friday, October 5, 2012

Journal Painting Time Lapse Video

Remember how I was saying that we had awesome teachers in Interior Design? Well our teacher last year, Peek, definitely pushed me. Hard. And guess what? I'm a better person for it.

I'm extremely Type-A, control freak, perfectionist, etc etc. Peek pushed me to be fast and sketchy. To ask for help when I really need it but to try to figure things out for myself and just make it work. Apparently being messy is good for your soul :)

The point of all of this is that I kind of like pushing myself out of my comfort zone and trying new things. Especially when it doesn't matter if I "mess up". Insert my journal. It's funny though because this concept was actually an assignment we had during Drawing II freshman year. We were supposed to take an old book and repurpose it. Experiment. The perfectionist that I was had a really hard time letting go without planning out every page to be a masterpiece. Needless to say I didn't do well on the project.

Fast forward three years and I finally get it. Isn't it funny how it just takes time sometimes? They were just giving out free books in Spidle for the last few weeks so I took one. I already had glued a few pages together and primed the pages with gesso before I started. Oh and I also cut a few pages out periodically so it wouldn't get too thick.

I love watching other people's creative processes and thought everyone might enjoy seeing mine. Here's the thing...I finger painted. 1. I hate getting my hands dirty (pushing myself people) and 2. Let me repeat that...I finger painted. aka something a child can do. What does this mean? ANYONE CAN MAKE ART. People don't think they're creative but everyone is!!!


So here are the finished pages:





And here is the process video...enjoy!!






xoxo









P.S. The only supplies I used were acrylic paints, rubber letter stamps, and an ink pad! The quote is from the song "When I Look to the Sky" by Train!

P.P.S. If you need more journal inspiration/time lapse videos, check out Lil Blue Boo. If I haven't stressed this enough...Ashley is awesome. Also the finger painting idea came from Alisa Burke who is seriously one of my artistic heros. She blows me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment